Frances Bridgman was born about 1798, in Wythe County, Virginia. She was the daughter of Franklin Bridgman and his second wife, Rhoda May.
Frances married John Brown about 1816, in Virginia. John Brown was born August 15, 1787, in Wythe County, Virginia.
On January 28, 1828, the following was filed in Campbell County, Tennessee Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions (pgs. 70-71):
Know all men by these presents that we, John Brown and Nancy Bridgman of the County of Wythe and State of Virginia have made authorized etc. etc. and do by these presents etc. etc. Hezekiah Bridgman of County, State aforesaid my true and lawful attorney for us and in our names and for our use to ask, demand, sue for, recover and receive of the Admr. or administrators of the estate of Martha David, deceased all such sums of money and property as we may be entitled to as heirs of the said Martha David, deceased and in default of payment thereof to have use and take all lawful ways & means for recovery of the same and on receipt thereof acquittences as other sufficient discharges for the same for us in our name to seal & deliver and do all lawful acts and things whatsoever concerning the premises fully in every respect, as we might do if we were personally present. In witness whereof we have hereunto subscribed our names and affixed our seals, this 28th day of January 1828.
John Brown (Seal)
Nancy X Bridgman (Seal)
Wythe County towit:
We, Robert Crockett and John M. Crockett acting justices in the county aforesaid in the state of Virginia, do hereby certify that John Brown & Nancy Bridgman personally appeared before us and acknowledged the above power of attorney to be their act and Deed. Given under our hands and seals this 28th day of Jany. 1828.
Robert Crocket (Seal)
John Crockett (Seal)
About 1836, John and Frances moved their family from Virginia to Indiana. Their youngest child was born March 1835, in Virginia.
John Brown died July 3, 1837, in Johnson County, Indiana.
The 1840 Johnson County, Indiana census shows Frances Brown a female 40-49; one male 15-19; one male 10-14; one male 5-9; one female 15-19; one female 10-14 and one female 5-9.
The 1850 Johnson County, Indiana census, Pleasant Township, shows Frances Brown, 52; John, 22, a farmer; Susannah, 18 and Martin W., 15 years old. Listed next to Frances was her son Stephen Brown and his family.
The 1860 Johnson County, Indiana census, Pleasant Township, shows Frances Brown, 63. She was listed next to her son John F. Brown and his family.
The 1870 Johnson County census shows Frances Brown, 75 years old. Living with her was her daughter Susan and her children.
Frances (Bridgman) Brown died December 23, 1872, in Johnson County, Indiana.
Children of John Brown and Frances Bridgman
1. Mary "Polly" Brown, b. May 20, 1817, VA
2. Rhoda Brown, b. Dec 20, 1819, VA
3. Stephen Brown, b. Feb 8, 1821, Wythe Co, VA; d. Oct 31, 1910, Johnson Co, IN; m. Theodicia Dorothy Darland Sharp on June 8, 1843, Johnson Co, IN. Dorothy Sharp was b. June 19, 1825, Mercer Co, KY; d. Sept 25, 1902, Johnson Co. Children included: (1) John S. Brown, b. 1844, IN; (2) Abraham S. Brown, b. 1846, IN; (3) Catha J. Brown, b. 1849, IN; (4) Mary A. Brown, b. 1852, IN; (5) William Brown, b. 1856, IN; (6) Isaac Brown, b. 1859, IN; (7) Francis Brown, b. 1862, IN and (8) Sarah Brown, b. 1868, IN
4. Harvey Brown, b. June 7, 1823, VA
5. Nancy Brown, b. Oct 8, 1825, VA
6. John Franklin Brown, b. May 1, 1828, VA; d. July 28, 1913, Johnson Co, IN; m. Elva Jane Vanarsdall. Elva Jane was b. Oct 24, 1833, Johnson Co, IN; d. Apr 24, 1894; Johnson Co. Children included: (1) Mary B. Brown, b. 1857, IN and (2) Emma Brown, b. 1859, IN
7. Susan Anna Brown, b. Mar 30, 1831, VA; m. James Covert, who was b. abt 1834, KY. Children included: (1) Melvina Angeline Covert, b. 1858, IN and (2) Isaac F. Covert, b. May, 1860, IN
8. Martin W. Brown, b. Mar 12, 1835, VA