James Ellison Berry was born May 19, 1838, in Wayne County, Tennessee, the son of William Berry and Sarah Weatherford.
The 1840 Wayne County census shows James as a male under the age of 5 years.
The 1850 Wayne County census lists James as 13 years old.
The 1860 Wayne County census shows 22 year old James still single and living at home with his parents and siblings.
James Ellison served in Capt. Joseph George Berry's Co H, 6th Tennessee Cavalry during the Civil War.
James Ellison married Frances Wayne Hensley (or Hamm?)on February 6, 1866, in Wayne County. Frances was a widow with children from a previous marriage.
The 1870 Wayne County census shows James E. Berry, 30, a farmer, real property valued at $1250, personal property valued at $1905; Frances W., 27; Frances J., 2; M. S. Hamm (?), 9, female, born in Tennessee; Nancy E. Hamm (?), 8, born in Tennessee; and Mary E. Hamm (?), 7, born in Tennessee. (Note: The census is difficult to read and I am unsure of the spelling of the last name but it looks like Hamm instead of Hensley.)
Frances died November 1889, in Wayne County.
James Ellison moved to Tecumseh, Oklahoma about 1895. He died at Tecumseh on January 30, 1907.
Children of James Ellison Berry and Frances Hensley
1. Frances Flora Berry, b. Aug 12, 1867, TN; m. Joseph Harrison Davis on Dec 17, 1891, Wayne Co, TN
2. James F. Berry, b. Sept 30, 1874
3. Lina Laura Berry, b. Nov 22, 1875; m. Isaac Meredith Corbin on May 8, 1892, Wayne Co, TN
4. John Alderson Berry, b. Nov 11, 1878, Wayne Co, TN
5. Wayne Maxwell Berry, b. Apr 15, 1880, TN