Joseph Varner was born in Virginia, the son of Adam Varner and Christina R. (last name unknown). (She appears on some IGI records as Christina Rexroad.) We believe Joseph was born about 1783-1785.
Joseph married Susan Herold, about 1804-1807. They had at least eight children.
Joseph appears on the April 1814 tithables list in Pendleton County, Virginia. Joseph was granted a patent in January 1817, on 70 acres of land on Brushy Fork in Pendleton County, and a patent on 37 more acres of land on Brushy Fork in May 1817.
Prior to 1820, Joseph married Christina (last name unknown). They are listed in 1820 Pendleton County records as selling land in that county.
Joseph appears on the 1820 Pendleton County census. The census shows one male over 45; one male 26-44; one male 16-25; two males 10-15; two males under 10; one female over 45; one female 26-44; and two females under 10.
In 1822, he appears on the Pendleton County tithables list with two tithables.
Joseph moved his family to Pocahontas County, Virginia prior to 1830. The family appears on the 1830 Pocahontas County census.
Joseph signed his will on January 29, 1831, in Pocahontas County. He names his wife Christina and children John, Eli, Adam, Samuel, Susan, Elly, Amanda and Elizabeth. The will was probated July 5, 1831.
Children of Joseph Varner and Susan Herold
1. Elias Varner, b. VA; m. Mercy Whiting on Apr 26, 1832, Pocahontas Co, VA
2. John Varner, b. Feb 13, 1808, Pendleton Co, VA; d. Feb 12, 1881, Linwood, WV; m. Isabella Hannah on Sept 16, 1833, Pocahontas Co, VA
3. Samuel Varner, b. VA
4. Adam Varner, b. VA; m. Caroline Gibson
5. Susan Varner, b. VA; d. St. John, MO; m. Thomas Caul (Call) on Sept 26, 1833, Pocahontas Co, VA
6. Elly P. Varner, b. VA; m. Hiram Scott on Oct 16, 1839, Pocahontas Co, VA
7. Elizabeth Varner, b. VA; m. John Holden on July 4, 1832, Pocahontas Co, VA
8. Amanda Varner, b. VA; d. at age 14