Melvina Bridgman was born in 1814, in Wythe County, Virginia. She was the youngest child of Franklin Bridgman and his second wife, Rhoda May.
Melvina moved to Tennessee with her mother and other family members prior to 1823. She appears on the 1830 Grainger County, Tennessee with her mother and brother Martin.
Melvina married Jacob Long on November 11, 1833, in Grainger County, Tennessee.
Jacob Long, born March 3, 1812, in Grainger County, Tennessee, was the son of John Long and Sarah Witcher. John Long was born about 1785, in Maryland and died in 1875, in Grainger County, Tennessee. Sarah Witcher was born about 1788, in Virginia and died 1861-1869, in Grainger County.
The 1840 Grainger County, Tennessee census shows Jacob Long a male 30-39; three males under 5; one female 20-29 (Melvina) and one female 10-14.
The 1850 Grainger County, Tennessee census shows Jacob Long, 42, a farmer; Arney, 36; John, 16, a farmer; Ezekiel, 13; Wm, 11; Mary, 9; Eliza A., 7; Henry, 3 and Alunery, 6 months old.
Melvina died December 28, 1854, in Grainger County, Tennessee.
We believe Jacob remarried a couple of times after the death of Melvina. We have been told that Jacob died May 25, 1885, possibly in Morgan County, Illinois.
Children of Jacob Long and Melvina Bridgman
1. Martha Jane Long, b. Nov 1832, Grainger Co, TN; d. 1920, Morgan Co, IL; m. John Mallicoat on April 28, 1847, Grainger Co, TN
2. John Wesley Long, b. abt 1834, TN
3. Ezekiel Long, b. abt 1837, TN
4. William Long, b. abt 1839, TN
5. Mary Long, b. abt 1841, TN
6. Eliza A. Long, b. abt 1843, TN
7. Henry Long, b. abt 1847, TN
8. Alunery Long, b. abt 1850, TN