Mary Ellen "Molly" Wren was born about 1854, in Spencer County, Indiana, the daughter of William Thomas Wren and his second wife, Allena Overall Hamilton.
Mary appears with her family on the 1860 Spencer County census in Luce Township. She is listed as 6 years old on the census. The 1870 Warrick County, Indiana census shows 16 year old Mary with her parents and siblings.
Mary married William L. Burgess on March 18, 1871, in Spencer County. William L. Burgess was born about 1849, in Indiana, the son of Henry Burgess, who was born about 1821, in Tennessee. The 1870 Spencer County census shows Henry Burgess and his family living next door to Mary's half-brother James Alfred Wren and his wife. William L., age 21, is listed with Henry's family on the census.
William and Mary settled in Spencer County to raise their family. William was a farmer.
The 1880 Spencer County census, Luce Township, shows William L., 31, a farmer; Mary E., wife, 26; Mary E., daughter, 8; Ethlene, daughter, 7; Lilly, daughter, 3 and William H., son, 6 months old.
We believe William died about 1890 in Indiana. We believe Mary was pregnant with their youngest child at the time. It appears Mary moved to New Madrid County, Missouri soon after William died. Researchers say their youngest child was born in January, 1891, in New Madrid County, Missouri. Some researchers indicate that Mary died in 1896, in Missouri.
We are unsure how many children were born to William and Mary. Our records show the following children.
Children of William Burgess and Mary Wren
1. Mary Ellen Burgess, b. 1872, Spencer Co, IN
2. Ethlene Burgess, b. abt 1873, Spencer Co, IN
3. Lilly Ann Burgess, b. Dec 1876, Spencer Co, IN; d. Apr 1936; m. Charles Henry Malone in 1894, IN. Charles Malone, b. 1867, KY; d. 1934, MO, son of James Henry Malone and Nancy J. Fisk. Family appears in 1900, 1910 & 1920 New Madrid Co, MO. Children included: (1) Olga Malone, b. & d. 1895, MO; (2) William Henry Malone, b. 1898, MO; d. 1900, MO; (3) Paul Malone, b. 1900, MO; (4) Dealie Malone, b. 1902; (5) William Reuben Malone, b. 1906, MO; (6) James Estes Malone, b. 1908, MO; (7) Charles W. Malone, b. 1909, MO; d. 1910, MO; (8) Edith M. Malone, b. 1911, MO; Medford Malone, b. abt 1914, MO; d. abt 1916, MO and Hazel Wise Malone, b. 1920, MO.
4. William H. Burgess, b. abt Dec 1879, Spencer Co, IN
5. Cora Burgess, b. abt 1882, IN; m. Peter Hutchins on Dec 23, 1900, Scott Co, MO
6. May Burgess, b. abt 1885, IN; m. _____ Patterson
7. James Burgess, b. Jan 1891, MO; d. 1974; m. Ann Elizabeth Cluk (Cleek). Children: (1) Clyde Wayne Burgess; (2) Faye Louise Burgess; (3) Mattie Sue Burgess; (4) Marcia Ernest Burgess; (5) James Nicolas Burgess; (6) Hazel Eunice Burgess; (7) Harry Hill Burgess; (8) Lillian Gena Burgess and (9) Teddy Joe Burgess