Martha P. Cargile was born about 1820, in Christian County, Kentucky. She was the daughter of John Cargill, III and Nancy Elizabeth Lewis.
Martha's family moved to Arkansas about 1837. Martha appears on the 1840 Searcy County, Arkansas census with her parents. She is listed as a female age 15-20.
Martha married Clairborn Ward about 1839, in Arkansas . Clarborn Ward was born about 1816, in Tennessee. We believe he was the son of McCaleb Kelly Ward, who was born about 1795, in North Carolina and died in Tennessee.
The family appears on the 1840 Searcy County, Arkansas census living near the Nenion Cargile, John Cargile and Benjamin Palmer families. The census shows Clabarn Ward as a male 20-29 (b. 1811-1820), with one female 20-29 (b. 1811-1820) and one male under 5 (b. 1836-1840).
The family moved to Missouri about 1849. They appear on the 1850 Newton County, Missouri census. The census shows Claibourne Ward, 32, a farmer; Martha, 39; Ninion, 9; Nancy, 7; Mary Ann, 5; Mariah, 3 years and Ezekiel W., 3 months old. Census shows that Ezekiel was born in Missouri and the other children were born in Arkansas.
The family moved back to Arkansas about 1856-1859 and settled in Conway County.
The 1860 Conway County, Arkansas census shows the family living in Benton Township near Martha's brothers Delemore Cargile and William Cargile. The census shows Clarborn Ward, 44, a farmer, born in Tennessee; Martha P., 40, born in Kentucky; Nenion E., 20, born in Arkansas; Nancy E., 17, born in Arkansas; Mary A., 15, born in Arkansas; Margaret L., 12, born in Arkansas; Ezekiel W., 10, born in Missouri; John L., 7, born in Missouri; W. C. (a male), 5, born in Missouri and Benjamin, 4 months old, born in Arkansas. Living with the family was Martha's sister, Nancy Cargil, 31, born in Kentucky.
We did not locate the family in 1870. We have been told that Clairborn died in 1874, in Arkansas.
Children of Clairborn Ward and Martha P. Cargile
1. Nenion E. Ward, b. abt 1840, Searcy Co, AR; m. Jane L. Moore
2. Nancy E. Ward, b. abt 1843, Searcy Co, AR
3. Mary Ann Ward, b. abt 1845, Searcy Co or Conway Co, AR; m. Henry Sampson Lilley on Jan 12, 1871, Conway Co, AR
4. Margaret L. Ward, b. abt 1848, Searcy Co or Conway Co, AR
5. Ezekiel W. Ward, b. abt 1850, Newton Co, MO; d. 1910-1920, Van Buren Co, AR; m. (1st) Unknown, who d. bet. 1877-1879. Three sons: William Washington Ward, b. abt 1871; John Ward, b. abt 1875 and Stell Ward, b. Apr 1877. Ezekiel m. (2nd) Sarah Scarlett on Feb 5, 1880, Van Buren Co, AR. Sarah Scarlett, b. about 1852, Van Buren or Conway Co, AR; d. bet 1885-1900; bur. Mt. Pleasant Cem, Quitman, AR, was the daughter of James Madison Scarlett and Melinda McClure. Twin daughters: Ida Ward and Ada Ward, born Mar 1885, AR
6. John Lewis Ward, b. Jan 8, 1854, Newton Co, MO; d. 1916, Cleburne Co, AR; m. (1st) Mary ____ bef 1878, AR. Mary was b. 1854, MO; d. abt 1886, Van Buren Co, AR. John m. Nancy L. ____ abt 1887, AR. Nancy was b. Mar 1866, AR. Children of John and Mary included: Lutitia Ward, b. abt 1879, Van Buren Co and Jesse D. Ward, b. Apr 1881, Van Buren Co. Children of John and Nancy (all b. Van Buren Co) included: Charles A. Ward, b. Dec 1887; William M. Ward, b. Nov 1889; Mary Elzina Ward, b. Mar 1892; Dell V. Ward, b. Nov 1894; James G. Ward, b. June 1897; Martha C. Ward, b. June 1899; Benjamin L. Ward, b. abt 1902; Atha B. Ward, b. abt 1904 and Amy J. Ward, b. abt 1907
7. W. C. Ward (male), b. abt 1855, Newton Co, MO
8. Benjamin Edward Ward, b. 1860, Conway Co, AR