Edward Pearson Cargile was born 1808, in Christian County, Kentucky. He was the son of John Cargill, III and Nancy Elizabeth Lewis.
Edward married Mary "Polly" Miller about 1831, in Kentucky. Mary Miller was born about 1808, in Kentucky.
Edward and Mary moved to Arkansas with the other Cargile families about 1837. They settled in Conway County, Arkansas prior to 1840.
The 1840 Conway County, Arkansas census shows Edward's family living in Hardin Township near Greenbrier (in present day Faulkner County). The census shows Edward a male 30-39; one unidentified male 20-29; one unidentified male 15-20; one unidentified male 10-15; two males 5-9 (sons James & John); one male under 5 (son Jesse); one unidentified female 40-49; one female 30-39 (wife Mary); one unidentified female 5-9 and two females under 5 (dau. Nancy & unidentified). We assume the unidentified people on the census are other family members. Edward's brother, Delemore B. Cargile was living nearby.
Edward paid a poll tax in Searcy County, Arkansas in 1842. That was the same year Edward's father died in Searcy County.
The 1850 Conway County census shows the family in Benton Township, near Quitman. The census shows E. P., 42, a farmer; Mary, 42; James, 17; John, 14; Nancy, 12; Jessie, 11; Pelina, 8; Daniel, 6 and Louisa, 4 years old. Edward was listed next to his brother Robert Lewis Cargile and near his brother William Cargile.
Edward paid a poll tax in Searcy County again in 1854.
The 1860 Conway County census shows the family in Union Township. The census shows Edward, 52; Mary, 52; Palina, 17; David, 15 (he was listed as Daniel on the 1850 census) and Louisa, 14 years old. Living with them was Israel Moore, 30, a laborer, born in Kentucky. Israel Moore later married Rachael McClure, daughter of Stephen McClure. Edward was shown to have real property valued at $350.
We believe Edward and Mary both died between the 1860 and 1870 census. We have found no other record of them after the 1860 census.
Children of Edward Cargile and Mary Miller
1. James L. Cargile, b. abt 1833, KY; d. abt 1866, Van Buren Co, AR; m. Caroline F. Edwards abt 1852, Van Buren Co, AR. Caroline Edwards b. abt 1835; d. abt 1877, Van Buren Co, AR, dau. of Thomas Edwards (b. 1786, NC; d. 1843, Van Buren Co, AR) and Mary Ann McClure (b. abt 1811, SC; d. abt 1850, Van Buren Co, AR). (Caroline Edwards sister Cassandra Edwards m. James' cousin, Benjamin Franklin Palmer and Caroline's brother Jesse Edwards m. James' cousin, Sarah Ann Palmer.) Caroline m. 2nd William Francis Goff after the death of her husband James in 1866. William F. Goff b. 1827, KY; d. abt 1903, son of Samuel Goff and Mary A. Ritch. James and Caroline's children included: (1) Mary Cargile, b. 1854; (2) Marilda Cargile, b. 1859 and (3) Perline Cargile, b. 1863.
2. John E. Cargile, b. abt 1836, KY; may have d. 1867-1869; m. Rebecca Jane Goff on July 20, 1856, Conway Co, AR. Rebecca Goff b. abt 1839, KY, dau. of Jesse Goff and Louisa Chandler. The 1870 Conway Co, AR census shows Jane Cargil, 32, head of household with their 3 children. Rebecca m. 2nd Jacob S. Rowe in 1878 in Van Buren Co, AR. John & Rebecca's children: (1) Hillary William Cargile, b. 1860; (2) Mary Paulina Cargile, b. 1862; (3) Nancy Lavinia Cargile, b. 1867 and (4) Elizabeth Cargile, b. abt 1873.
3. Nancy Lavinia Cargile, b. abt 1838, AR; m. Henry W. McKee on Feb 2, 1860. Children included: (1) Eva McKee, b. abt 1869 and (2) Tama McKee, b. abt 1874
4. Jesse Hillary Cargile, b. July 4, 1839, AR; d. June 1891, Van Buren Co, AR; m. 1st Sarah A. Hood on June 13, 1858, Conway Co, AR. Jesse m. 2nd his first cousin Cyntha Margaret Cargile abt 1867. Cyntha Cargile b. Apr 28, 1844, AR; d. Feb 1879, dau. of Jesse's uncle Nenion Elijah Cargile and Sarah Johnson. Children included: (1) Kitt Delmore Cargile, b. 1869; d. abt 1879; (2) Nenion Edward Cargile, b. 1870; (3) Lula Anna Cargile, b. 1872; (4) Mary Marissy Cargile, b. 1876 and (5) Kate Pearl Cargile, b. 1879
5. Pelina Narcissa Cargile, b. abt 1842, Conway Co, AR; d. 1919, OK; m. Wilson Goff aft 1866. Wilson Goff b. abt 1845, Van Buren Co, AR; d. Dec 1887, Cleburne Co, AR, son of Jesse Goff and Louisa Chandler. They appear on the 1880 Van Buren Co, AR census. Children included: (1) Jesse John Edward Goff, b. abt 1867; (2) Elmon Lentford Goff, b. abt 1869; (3) Mack Alan Goff, b. abt 1870; (4) Hillary Bedford Goff, b. abt 1872; (5) Rufus Louis Goff, b. abt 1874; (6) (dau.) Elmos Goff, b. abt 1878; probably d. young and (7) Tammer Carintha Goff, b. 1880
6. Daniel C. Cargile, b. abt 1844, Conway Co, AR
7. Louisa Cargile, b. abt 1846, Conway Co, AR