Jesse Goff was born about 1816 in Kentucky. We believe he was the son of Samuel Goff, who was born about 1797, in South Carolina and died about 1865, in Arkansas, probably in Van Buren County.
Jesse married Louisa "Eliza" Chandler about 1838 in Calloway County, Kentucky. Louisa Chandler was born about 1818 in Kentucky, the daughter of Zachariah Chandler and Elizabeth Kelly.
Jesse moved his family to Arkansas prior to the 1840 census. The family appears on the 1840 Van Buren County, Arkansas census in Giles Township. The census shows Jesse Goff, age 20-30; one female age 20-30 and one female under 5 years of age. Living next to Jesse's family was Samuel Goff, age 40-50; one male 20-30; one male 10-15; one male 5-10; one male under 5; one female 30-40; one female 15-20; one female 5-10 and one female under 5 years of age. Living near Jesse was William Goff, age 40-50; one male 10-15; two males 5-10; one male under 5; and one female age 10-15.
The 1850 Van Buren County census shows the family still living in Giles Township. The census shows Jesse, age 35, farmer, born in Kentucky; Louisa, 35, born in Tennessee; Rebecca J., 11, born in Kentucky; Samuel P., 9, born in Arkansas; Jesse M., 6, born in Arkansas; Wilson, 5, born in Arkansas; William Z., 2, born in Arkansas; and Nancy C., 1 month, born in Arkansas. The census is dated October 19, 1850.
The 1850 Van Buren County census also shows Samuel Goff, who we believe may have been Jesse's father, living very near Jesse's family. The census shows Samuel Goff, 55, farmer, birthplace unknown, owned real property valued at $100; Mary, age 49, born in Tennessee; John, 17, laborer, born in Kentucky; Jane, 15, born in Kentucky; Samuel, 13, born in Kentucky; Mary, 9, born in Arkansas; Hezekiah (?) Sparkman, 23, farmer, born in Kentucky; James Goff, 12, born in Arkansas; and William Goff, 20, laborer, born in Kentucky.
Van Buren County records show Jesse paid taxes on 320 acres of land in Section 26, Township 10, Range 11. The last tax record we found in his name was in 1855.
Jesse Goff died about 1855, in Van Buren County. The 320 acres of land was taxed in Eliza Goff's name the following year.
Louisa married Stephen McClure about 1857/58. On October 14, 1859, Stephen applied for guardianship of the five youngest Goff children. Guardianship was granted by the court.
Children of Jesse Goff and Louisa Chandler
1. Rebecca Jane Goff, b. abt 1839, KY; m. John E. Cargile, son of Edward P. Cargile and Mary (last name unknown), on July 20, 1856, Conway Co, AR. The 1870 Conway Co, AR census shows Jane Cargil, 32, b. in KY living next door to Stephen and Louisa McClure with her children: Hillary W. Cargile, b. abt 1859, Conway Co, AR; Mary Cargile, b. abt 1863, AR; and Nancy Lavinia Cargile, b. May 1, 1867, Conway Co, AR. John was not listed on the 1870 census. Rebecca m. Jacob S. Rowe, in 1878, in Van Buren Co, AR. The 1880 Van Buren Co. census shows Jacob Rowe, 26, b. AR; Rebecca, wife, 40; and step-daughter, Elizabeth Cargile, b. abt 1873, AR.
2. Samuel P. Goff, b. abt 1841, AR
3. Jesse M. Goff, b. abt 1844, AR
4. Wilson Goff, b. abt 1845, AR; m. Perlina Narcissa Cargile, daughter of Edward P. Cargile and Mary (last name unknown) abt 1865. They appear on the 1880 Van Buren Co, AR census. Children: Jesse Goff, b. abt 1866, AR; Elmon L. Goff, b. abt 1869, AR; Macky Goff, b. abt 1870, AR; Hillary B. Goff, b. abt 1872, AR; Louis Goff, b. abt 1874, AR; and (daughter) Elmos Goff, b. abt 1868, AR
5. William Z. Goff, b. abt 1847, AR
6. Nancy E. Goff, b. abt 1850, AR; m. (her 1st cousin) Francis Marion Chandler, son of King Solomon Chandler and Sarah Adams, on Aug 22, 1875, Van Buren Co, AR
7. Emily Caroline Perlina Goff, b. abt 1853, AR; m. (her 1st cousin) John B. Chandler, son of King Solomon Chandler and Sarah Adams, on January 7, 1870, Conway Co, AR. They appear on the 1880 Van Buren Co, AR census. Children included: Sarah E. Chandler, b. abt 1871, AR; Cintha L. Chandler, b. abt 1875, AR; and Victoria Chandler, b. abt 1878, AR