Matilda McClure was born about 1839, in Arkansas, in either Searcy or Conway County. She was the daughter of Stephen McClure and Sarah Smith.
Matilda grew up in Conway County. She appears on the 1840 Conway County census in Hardin Township, near Greenbrier. She is listed as a female under the age of five years.
In 1849, Matilda's father acquired land near Quitman, in Conway County. He moved his family there from the Greenbrier area. The 1850 Conway County census, Benton Township, Quitman Post Office, shows Matilda, age eleven, living with her family.
The 1860 Conway County census, Benton Township, Quitman Post Office, shows Matilda, age 22, single and still living at home.
Matilda married John N. Bennett on December 20, 1860, in Conway County. The marriage was performed by James M. Scarlett, a Methodist Protestant minister, and is recorded in Conway County Marriage Book 2, page 76. John Bennett was born about 1839, in Tennessee. He was the son of George Washington Bennett and Nancy Williams.
John N. Bennett served as a private in Co. H; 36 Confederate Ark. Infantry during the Civil War.
The 1870 Conway County census, Benton Township, shows John and Matilda and their daughter Nancy, age 8 and son James, age 2. The census shows that John owned personal property valued at $300.
The 1880 Van Buren County, Arkansas, census shows the family living in Cadron Township. Listed with John and Matilda are their children Nancy, James, Samuel, Newton, Edward and Carroll. Living with the family is Alma Baley, sister to Matilda.
Matilda McClure Bennett died between 1880 and about 1885. Part of Matilda's family moved to Milam County, Texas between 1880 and about 1885. We do not know if Matilda died in Arkansas or in Texas.
John married (2nd) Lizzie L. (last name unknown) about 1885 to 1887 in Texas. Lizzie was born April 1861, in Texas according to census.
The 1900 Milam County, Texas census, Precinct No. 6, shows John Bennett, born May 1839, 61, married 14 years, a farmer; Lizzie L., wife, born April 1861, 39, married 14 years, had given birth to 5 children, 1 child still living; and Marcia, daughter, born July 1888, 11, born in Texas.
Living next door to John was his son Edward Bennett, born November 1875, 24, married 3 years; Addie, wife, born March 1883, 17, married 3 years, had given birth to 1 child and the child was still living and Florence, daughter, born April 1898, in Texas.
The 1900 Milam County census, Precinct No. 6, shows another son, Sam Bennett, born November 1869, 30, married 17 years, a farmer; Alice M., wife, born March 1870, 30, married 17 years, had given birth to 3 children, 2 children were still living; Jesse N., son, born Aug 1894, 5; Henry C., son, born August 1896, 3; Carol W., son, born August 1898, 1 year old, and Pitts Bennett, brother, unknown birth and age, a farmer.
Yet another son appears on the 1900 Milam County census, Precinct No. 6. The census shows James Bennett, boarding with the Sam Blankenship family. The census shows James Bennett, born December 1868, 31, a farmer.
John Bennett died between 1900 and 1910.
The 1910 Tillman County, Oklahoma census, City of Frederick, shows Will W. Holden, 29, married 9 years, working at an oil mill; Marcia, wife, 23, married 9 years, had given birth to 4 children, 2 children were still living; Dora M., daughter, 5, born in Oklahoma; Carrol W., son, 3, born in Oklahoma and Lizzie Bennett, mother-in-law, 48, widowed, had given birth to 4 children, 1 child still living.
Children of John Bennett and Matilda McClure
1. Nancy Bennett, b. abt. 1862, Conway Co, AR
2. James Bennett, b. Dec. 1868, Conway Co, AR (appears in 1900 Milam Co, TX)
3. Samuel S. Bennett, b. abt. 1870, Conway Co, AR; m. Alice M. ____ abt 1883. Children included: Jesse N.Bennett, b. Aug 1894, TX; Henry C. Bennett, b. Aug 1896, TX; Carrol Wesley Bennett, b. Aug 1898, TX; Unknown Bennett, b. & d. abt 1901 and George Herbert Bennett, b. abt 1904, TX (The family appears in 1900 Milam Co, TX and 1910, 1920 and 1930 Bell Co, TX.)
4. Newton Bennett, b. abt. 1873, Conway Co, AR
5. Edward Bennett, b. Nov. 1875, probably Conway Co, AR; d. 1910-1920; m. Addie M. ____ abt. 1897. Children included: Florence Bennett, b. Apr 1898, TX; Andrew Benett, b. abt 1902, TX and Bessie M. Bennett, b. abt 1908, TX. (The family appears in 1900 Milam Co, TX and 1910 Greer Co, OK. Addie m. Hulen Wagoner aft Edward's death. Addie, Hulen and Bessie appear in Williamson Co, TX in 1920.)
6. Carroll Bennett, b. abt. 1877, Conway Co. or Van Buren Co, AR
Child of John Bennett and Lizzie L.
7. Marcia Bennett, b. July 1888, TX; m. William W. Holden abt 1901. Children included: Dora M. Holden, b. abt 1905, OK and Carrol W. Holden, b. abt 1907, OK