Thomas H. Cargill was born about 1816, in Christian County, Kentucky. He was the son of John Cargill, III and Nancy Elizabeth Lewis.
On August 14, 1835, Thomas was a witness to the marriage license of his brother Nenion Cargill and Sarah Johnson in Christian County, Kentucky. On the same date Thomas and Nenion posted a bond of 50 pounds for the intention of Nenion to solemnize the marriage.
Thomas' family moved to Arkansas about 1837. Thomas does not appear on the 1840 census with his father. We believe he was living with his brother Edward in Conway County, Arkansas when the 1840 census was taken. There is an unidentified male age 20-30 living with Edward at that time.
Thomas married Mary Palmer about 1840-1841, in Arkansas. Mary Palmer was born about 1820, in Tennessee, the daughter of Benjamin Palmer, Sr. and his wife, Mary (last name unknown). (Thomas' sister Keziah Cargile married Mary's brother Benjamin Palmer, Jr.)
The 1850 Pulaski County, Arkansas census, Pyatt Township, shows Thomas, 33, a farmer; Mary, 25; Benjamin P., 9; Elizabeth, 7; John F., 6 and Clarinda, 3 years old. Living with the family was Mary's father, Benjamin Palmer, 79, born in Georgia.
Thomas moved his family to Conway County, Arkansas prior to 1859.
Mary died October 1859, near Springfield, in Walker Township of Conway County.
The 1860 Conway County census showsThomas and his children living near Springfield, in Walker Township. The census shows Thomas H. Cargile, 45, a farmer; Benjamin, 19; Elizabeth, 17; Jno. F., 15; Martha, 13; Edward P., 11, born in Arkansas; William W., 8, born in Arkansas; Robert L., 6, born in Arkansas; and Kesiah T., 2, born in Arkansas. Thomas' real estate property was valued at $600 and his personal property at $180. Thomas was living next to his brother Nenion.
Thomas died prior to 1870. His two youngest children, Robert L., age 13, and Mary F., age 11, living in Independence County, Arkansas with the Ezekiel and Mary Brown family.
Children of Thomas Cargill and Mary Palmer
1. Benjamin Palmer Cargill, b. abt 1841, AR
2. Elizabeth Cargill, b. abt 1843, AR
3. John F. Cargill, b. abt 1845, AR; m. Betty ___ and they moved to Polk Co, MO prior to 1870
4. Martha Clarinda Cargill, b. abt 1847, AR
5. Edward P. Cargill, b. abt 1850, AR
6. William W. Cargill, b. abt 1852, AR
7. Robert L. Cargill, b. Oct 1857, AR; d. 1911, Conway Co, AR; bur. Old Hickory Cem, Conway Co; m. Mary Jane ____ abt 1879. Mary Jane was b. Aug 1862, KY; d. 1895-1907, AR. Robert then m. Mrs. Rebecca W. Simon on Apr 3, 1907, in Conway Co. Rebecca was b. Nov 1864, AR; d. 1938, AR; bur. Old Hickory Cem.
8. Mary Keziah F. Cargill, b. abt 1859, AR