Rebecca Berry was born in early to mid 1830, in Wayne County, Tennessee. She was the third child born to William Berry and Sarah Weatherford.
The 1830 Wayne County census lists Rebecca as a female under the age of 5 years. The 1840 Wayne County census lists her at 5-10 years old. The 1850 Wayne County census, shows Rebecca to be 20 years old, still single and living at home with her parents and siblings.
Rebecca married Thomas Madison Alexander on August 28, 1848, in Wayne County. (Note: Rebecca is listed twice on the 1850 census -- once with her parents and siblings and again with her husband. The date is the same on both census pages.) Thomas Alexander was born November 7, 1825, in Wayne County, Tennessee, the son of Arthur M. Alexander.
The 1850 Wayne County census, dated October 22, shows Thomas M. Alexander, 25, a farmer, real property valued at $500; and Rebecca, 20 years old. We have been told their daughter Sarah was born August 17, 1850, but as she was not listed on the census we assume she was born after October 22, 1850.
The family moved to Searcy County, Arkansas about 1858.
Thomas is said to have fought in both the Mexican War and the Civil War.
Rebecca died December 18, 1864, in Arkansas. Her father, William, signed his will on September 18, 1866, and left property to the heirs of his daughter Rebecca Alexander, deceased.
Thomas died February 9, 1880 and is buried in Pleasant Ridge Cemetery near Yellville, Yell County, Arkansas.
Child of Thomas Alexander and Rebecca Berry
1. Joseph G. Alexander, b. & d. before Oct 1850, Wayne Co, TN (only lived one day)
2. Sarah Ann Emaline Alexander, b. after Oct 22, 1850, Wayne Co, TN
3. William J. A. Alexander, b. abt 1854 Wayne Co, TN; d. 1865; bur. Ingram Cem, near Enola, AR (William is said to have been hung from an apple tree.)
4. Margaret Adeline Alexander, b. abt 1856, Wayne Co, TN
5. John J. Alexander, b. abt 1858
6. Smith Wayne Alexander, b. abt 1860, AR
7. Tennessee Jane Alexander, b. abt 1860, AR; d. 1861
8. Rebecca E. Alexander, b. abt 1862, AR; d. 1865