(I have not researched this Nichols family, but am sharing the information I have regarding this family.)
Samuel Alexander Nichols was born June 22, 1859, in Alabama. He may have been the son of Willie Nichols and Nancy (last name unknown), who appear on the 1880 Jackson County, Alabama census.
Samuel Nichols migrated to Conway County, Arkansas between 1880 and 1885. He settled in the Center Ridge area of the county.
Samuel married Mahala Jane Maxey on February 22, 1885, in Conway County, Arkansas. Mahala Maxey was born February 22, 1867, in Coles County, Illinois, the daughter of Samuel Madison Maxey and Mary Ann Humphries. Samuel Maxey had moved his family from Illinois to Conway County, Arkansas between 1880 and 1885. Samuel Maxey was a descendant of my 7th great grandparents, Edward Maxey, born mid 1600's in France or England, and Elizabeth Ann Wyatt.
Samuel was a farmer in the Lick Mountain, Grandview, Center Ridge area. That is where he raised his family.
Samuel died January 19, 1899, at Center Ridge, in Conway County. He is probably buried in the Pleasant Hill Cemetery near Center Ridge. Samuel was not yet 40 years old when he died.
The 1900 Conway County census, Lick Mountain Township, shows Mahala Nichols, a widow, 33, born February 1867, in Illinois, had given birth to 7 children, 6 children were still living; Quinie, daughter, 14, born January 1886; Eugene, son, 12, born Feburary 1888; Alice, daughter, 10, born November 1890; Albert, son, 7, born July 1892; Lester E., son, 6, born February 1894; and Samuel P., son, 3, born April 1897. Living next door to Mahala was her father and mother. Living near-by was her brother John William Maxey and his family.
The 1910 Conway County census, Lick Mountain Township, shows the family living near the Center Ridge and Formosa Road. The census shows Mahala Nichols, 43, widowed, had given birth to 7 children, 6 children living, rented her farm; Albert, son, 17; Earl, son, 15; Sam, son, 13; Alice Carroll, daughter, 20, widowed, had given birth to 1 child, 1 child still living; and Lucy B. Carroll, granddaughter, 3 months old. Also living with the family was Arthur Upchurch, a hired farm hand, 25, born in Arkansas.
The 1920 Conway County census, Lick Mountain Township, shows the family still at their farm near Center Ridge. The census shows Earl L. as head of the household, 25, single, owned his farm; Mahala, mother, 52, widowed; Sam, brother, 22; and Alice, sister, 32, divorced.
The 1930 Conway County census, Lick Mountain Township, shows Earl Nichols, owned his farm, 36, single, a World War I veteran; Alice, sister, 40, divorced; and Mahala, mother, 63 years old.
Mahala died August 10, 1930, at Center Ridge, in Conway County. She is buried in the Pleasant Hill Cemetery near Center Ridge.
Children of Samuel Nichols and Mahala Maxey
1. Quinnie H. Nichols, b. Jan 30, 1886, Conway Co, AR; d. Jan 27, 1924; m. Caleb Presley on Aug 30, 1903, Conway Co.
2. Taylor Eugene Nichols, b. Feb 4, 1888, Conway Co, AR
3. Mary Alice Nichols, b. Nov 20, 1889, Conway Co, AR; d. May 28, 1961; m. Oliver Prince and Oscar Carroll. Oscar Carroll b. Feb 1890, AR, son of John J. Carroll and Frances E. (last name unknown).
4. Elmer Albert Nichols, b. July 14, 1892, Conway Co, AR; d. Dec 24, 1945; m. Della Mahan on Nov 22, 1914. Della Mahan b. Apr 9, 1896; d. May 9, 1946; bur. Pleasant Hill Cem. (they appear on the 1930 Conway Co. census with 2 children: Curtis, 14; and Elsie, 12)
5. Lester Earl Nichols, b. Feb 3, 1894, Conway Co, AR; d. Sept 6, 1968; m. Hazel Crowell on Sept 27, 1931
6. Willie Raymond Nichols, b. Mar 5, 1896, Conway Co, AR; d. Apr 2, 1896; probably bur. Pleasant Hill Cem.
7. Samuel Pearl Nichols, b. Apr 13, 1897, Conway Co, AR; d. June 29, 1960; m. May Brown on Nov 12, 1921 (they appear on the 1930 Conway Co. census with 3 children: Clure M., 7; Alex J., 4 and Neva L., 10 months old)