My great-great grandfather, James Sevier George, was born about 1804, in Tennessee. He was the son of Benjamin George and Rachel Tucker.
James appears with his parents on the 1820 Jackson County, Tennessee census. He was shown as a male 10-15 years old.
James appears at home with his parents on the 1830 Haywood County, Tennessee census. He is listed as 20-29 years old.
James married my great-great grandmother, Nancy (last name unknown), about 1830, in Tennessee, probably in Haywood County. Nancy was born about 1811.
James appears on the 1832 Haywood County tax list, as does David J. George, Jesse George, Thomas George and William George.
James moved his family to Arkansas about April or May 1840. They moved soon after the birth of their daughter Sarah, who was born February 1840.
The family appears on the 1840 Searcy County, Arkansas census. The census shows one male 30-39 (George); one male 5-9 (Benjamin); one female 20-29 (Nancy); one female 10-14 (Mary Jane); one female 5-9 (Permelia Catharine) and two females under 5 years of age (Martha Caroline and Sarah).
Nancy died in 1841, in Arkansas, probably in Searcy County or Izard County. Elveta Guinn, a George descendant, says her grandmother told her that Nancy died from complications from childbirth. She also said that James went back to Tennessee and married his second wife, who was either a relative or an acquaintance, then returned immediately to Arkansas.
James married Margaret J. Stewart on November 2, 1841, in Lincoln County, Tennessee. Margaret Stewart was born about 1808, in South Carolina, according to census records.
James and Margaret settled in Izard County, Arkansas, immediately after their marriage. James paid personal property taxes in Izard County in 1843.
The 1850 Izard County census, Richwood Township, shows James George, 46, farmer, born in Tennessee; Margaret, 42, born in South Carolina; Benjamin, 18, born in Tennesse; Permelia C., 15, born in Tennessee; Martha C., 12, born in Tennessee; Sarah, 10, born in Tennessee; Rachael C., 7, born in Arkansas; Richard, 4, born in Arkansas and Robert H., 2, born in Arkansas.
The 1860 Izard County census, Sylamore Township, Green Bush Post Office, shows James George, 56; Margaret, 53; Sarah A., 20; Rachel A., 15; Richard, 13; Robert, 11; Andrew J., 9 and William, 6 years old. Also listed on the census was James Roberts, age 27, a farmer, born in Kentucky. James was probably related to Henry Roberts, whose son married James' granddaughter.
The 1870 Izard County census, Sylamore Township, Blue Mountain Post Office, shows James S. George, 66; Margaret, 62; Robert H., 21; Anderson J., 18 and William, 16 years old.
The 1880 Stone County, Arkansas, Sylamore Township, census shows James S. George, 75, born in Tennessee; Margaret, wife, 73, born in Georgia; Andrew, son, 29, single, born in Arkansas; William, son, 27, divorced, born in Arkansas; Rachel A. Dark, daughter, 35, widowed, born in Arkansas and William Dark, grandson, 16, born in Arkansas.
Margaret died between 1881 and 1887, in Stone County. We know she died prior to her husband, as she was not mentioned in the Letter of Administration that was issued after the death of her husband.
James died in Stone County in November 1887. An Application for Letters of Administration was issued December 6, 1887, in Stone County, in the matter of the estate of James S. George, deceased.
Children of James S. George and Nancy
1. Mary Jane George, b. abt 1831 TN
2. Benjamin George, b. abt 1833, TN; d. 1851-1887 -- We did not locate him after 1850. He is not mentioned in the letter of administration after his father died.
3. Permelia Catharine George, b. abt 1835, TN
4. Martha Caroline George, b. 1838, TN; m. Richard James D. Holden (my line)
5. Sarah A. George, b. Feb 1840, TN
Children of James S. George and Margaret Stewart
6. Rachel Adeline George, b. Nov 1843, Izard Co, AR
7. Richard George, b. abt 1845, Izard Co, AR; d. 1861-1887 -- We did not locate him after 1860. He is not mentioned in the letter of administration after his father died
8. Robert H. George, b. abt 1849, Izard Co, AR
9. Andrew Jackson George, b. abt 1851, Izard Co, AR. He appears on the 1860 and 1870 Izard Co, AR census and the 1880 Stone Co census. He was living in Stone Co on Dec 6, 1887 when he was mentioned in the letter of administration issued after his father died
10. William Francis George, b. Mar 1854, Izard Co, AR